It will be seven years ago that I married my best friend. I look at us now and realize what completely different people we are from the two kids that said vows to one another. I am amazed that through all the changes internally and externally in our lives we are even more in love with one another than we were on that special day. If you really stop and think about that, it is truly amazing, and only attainable through God's grace. Even though, I by no means, have this all figured out, I thought I would post some of my "advice" about marriage today. So here goes:
1. Go to bed together.
2. Cook a good meal for him often.
3. Having the house picked up when he gets home from work, really is a big deal.
4. Pray for him daily.
5. Get angry when people are mean to him. :)
6. Occasionally wear something a little revealing to bed (the t-shirts are great, but it gets old).
7. Make his lunch everyday, and leave him a note telling why you love him.
8. Thank him when he does the things that he's supposed to do (like taking out the trash).
9. Ask him if it's okay when you buy something.
10. Tell him something you are proud of or respect him for on a regular basis.
11. Brag about him to your friends (rather than criticise).
12. Pray together (nothing draws you closer).
13. Fight fair - never call each other names and always make up with in 30 minutes (that's our rule).
14. Let him kiss you whenever he wants.
My husband and I are both first born children so we have had our fair share of power struggles, but I can honestly tell you that learning to submit to my husband's authority has been one of the greatest joys I've ever experienced. God does know what He's talking about when he says "wives submit to your husbands." There is so much weight lifted off of me when I hand things over to my husband. Giving the "big stuff" to him allows me to love him and serve my family the way I need to. Seven years later....I am still learning and loving more every day.