Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chuck E. Cheese and Jesus are Not the Same

A few weeks ago my daughter experience one of the most traumatizing moments of her life. She came face to face with what apparently is her worst nightmare --- Chuck E. Cheese. I don't blame her, I have always had a very, strong aversion to any person dressed in a large animal costume. There isn't much else on this planet that makes me more uncomfortable. Anyway, my mom decided to take the kids there one afternoon, and quickly realized by the high, pitch shrills of my daughter that their stay would not last long. For days my daughter told everyone she came into contact with that "I don't like Chuck E. Cheeses. He scare me. I cry at Chuck E. Cheeses." If we passed a Chuck E. Cheese in the car the crying would begin all over again. If Chuck E. Cheese was advertised on television she would inevitably tell you the whole story from start to finish. Needless to say, we will not be going to Chuck E. Cheese for many years to come. The story is cute and funny if you end it there, but my child took it to another level this weekend. My mom was rocking and singing "Jesus loves me" to my daughter before bed. My daughter sat straight up and said. "I don't like Jesus. He scare me." My mom quickly tried to correct her and find out why she would say such a thing. My daughter, as serious as a two year old can be said, "My don't like Chuck E. Jesus, he scare me. He got big eyes!" So, not only has Chuck E. Cheese scared her for life, but now her theology is a mess, too! She now knows Chuck E. Cheese and Jesus are not the same --- and this is now what we hear 40 times a day now. "They not the same, Chuck E. Cheeses and Jesus are not the same."

5 comments:

Laura Webber said...

Hi Lizzy,

I really enjoy reading your blog, thank you for sharing your shopping skills and your family life! I love hearing about them both!

Did you realize that to a two year old cheeses and Jesus sound so much alike? Maybe your daughter used sound association and not 'figures' to come up with her statement. (I studdied Early Childhood development).

PS: I am Jessica Cronenwett's (from Asbury) sister.

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Haha! Oh man... your poor little one. :P

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the mind of a two year old!

My daughter who is 4 1/2 was emulating what the contestants of American Idol say, how winning can change their life. I quickly reminded her that only Jesus could do that! :D

Unknown said...

How cute!! I just found your blog, and not only is it helpful but very fun to read!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is hilarious! I am glad you were able to figure out the association so she wasn't scared of Jesus forever!