Monday, December 22, 2008

Why I Will Never Go to CVS at Midnight Again....

I won't bore you will all my CVS scenarios...you know what they all were, and if you're not an avid CVSer you may not understand this story, so sorry beforehand.

I had a friend email this today:
Whoa! I was WAY out of my league...but I kept up a brave front for Katie's sake! Intense. Hard core. I guess I'm more of a Monday afternoon 'rain check please' girl! Teach me, o wise one. : )

It got me thinking that I should be upfront with my readers....I think I may have been out of my league, too. Here's what happened:

My sister and I ventured out on Saturday night around 11:30pm with our four transactions perfectly planned out and separated into individual envelopes. We were very hopeful and excited about the deals we were going to get. As we pulled into the parking lot we could tell by the abnormal number of cars that it might be a little busy. When we walked in it was apparent by the four other shoppers who had their weekly circulars out that we were in for an interesting round of CVS. We each quickly grabbed a cart and headed for the Right guard. Just as we suspected they did not have enough for us to get the limit amount. Normally this wouldn't be that big of an issue, but we had just spent the last hour and half figuring our transactions out to the penny. We didn't get too discouraged - we kept moving. We got our Loreal and Sally Hansen, but on our way to the Benefiber we noticed a couple who apparently each had a Extra Care card because they had two of everything! They saw us; we saw them and we all knew that there couldn't possible be enough to go around. --- I really think I would have won the race that night in isle 17, had I not had a dysfunctional cart that squeaked and wobbled as I ran. It really slowed me down and cost me my Benefiber, which in the end actually cost me $2 (being that it was a moneymaker)! If losing the Benefiber wasn't enough, I was counting on it for my first transaction so I was really messed up! We were finally able to rework our scenarios and still have very little OOP. As we walked up to the cash register we noticed quite a few people -as we got closer we realized it was more like a 15 people deep line! At one point a man yelled from the back of the line "Aw, come on! I've got a nine month pregnant wife at home with heart burn!", unfortunately not all CVSers know the edict of allowing customers with very few items the luxury of going ahead, so it got kind of ugly as the nonECBers went up against the ECBers. I decided to hide myself and my coupons behind a Christmas display and remain low key. Several things surprised me about myself that night: 1) that I would actually go to CVS at midnight 2)that I would purposely purchase Benefiber 3) that I would actually race another human being to a box of Benefiber, and 4) that losing the Benefiber would actually cause me grief. It's funny what an ECB will do to a person.....Merry Christmas and happy CVSing.

8 comments:

Heather said...

thats funny. i was really disappointed with the CVS's in my area this week. neither had the Arm and Hammer cleaner. i actually went Sunday morning in order to get everything i wanted (they aren't 24 hours here) and really planned everything out. i've never gone so early (still new to the game) and was surprised by the number of couples that were there...

but they apparently have been sold out of the cleaner for a long time, and haven't gotten them back in stock. it screwed up my scenarios big time. and i was disappointed...i wanted the cleaner!

LizzyLanguage said...

Now the cleaner was actually a happy moment - we won the race to the cleaner. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL, well I was the first one in the door at our CVS with my eldest son who I call my EBC'er in training. We got 10 arm and hammer's anc cleanned out the shelf. The only thing I didnt get was that 3rd bag of Natural Halls. I thought about the benefiber but in my wildest dreams I couldnt think of anyone to give it too. Biggest deal was the bandaids which I had a buy 3 get 3.00 off coupon for...... I like those deals : )

Leslie said...

What a funny post. I hear you about the Benefiber. What is it, anyways? I waited to go until sunday (I must life in fairyland) and there was NOTHING free left. Nothing. I did buy $15 in coke.....like I need THAT...and I got M&M's for stockings...so I spent $10 oop on $30 (Used a $5 off 30 CVS coupon which I never thought I could do).

Ah well. I guess I will just eat fruit. :D

I love your blog! Thank you for all you do and share here!!!

Unknown said...

I usually go on at midnight on Saturday night most weeks. I find that works best for me as most of the freebies are sure to be in stock at my store and then I don't have to go back for the rest of the week or try to remember rain checks.

Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck with it!

On Black Friday there was a lady with two cards and her husband also had two. They basically cleaned out the freebies. I thought it was very unfair!

Alyssa @ KeepingTheKingdomFirst said...

What a bummer! I completely understand the frustration of having your scenarios not work out.

It is also such a shame when a few people ruin CVS for the rest of us. I personally stick with one Extra Care card.

Thanks for linking to the $5 Challenge, I enjoyed your post!

amber said...

hilarious, and i so know what you're talking about, "why in the world do i care so much that they're sold out of thermacare products?" oh well! i was the only one at my cvs at midnight...guess our neighborhood doesn't use the internet! i posted on my blog the deals i got...spent $4 oop for $142 worth of stuff...not bad! love your site!
amber
www.tosaveapenny.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

My sister and I got to our first CVS at 11:30 in order to get the stuff in our cart by 12. They didn't have any of the cleaner or either of the sleep aids and the therma cares were out too (I joked with the cashier that they were giving away the sleep aids so that us couponers would sleep at night and stay away from the blogs, LOL) Then we got in line behind a newbie and tried to understand. But after she made the poor cashier VOID her transaction four different times, we started to get a little antzy. Luckily, the very smart cashier opened a second line and took another customer while the previous girl got her deals straight. Then she took another trans and switched and got another customer, five different times. I'm all about little OOP, but good grief, get it straight before you get in line! Then a lot of our ECB's didn't print when we did our deals, the Sally Hensen, Loreal, and Joint Support all didn't print but luckily the cashier was brilliant and just typed in the ad # and got them all for us. I like making money, but this time CVS kinda dropped the ball on us:( I guess I should still be quite grateful for all of the free deodorant and mouthwash.